Saturday, September 5, 2009

To Every Season...

The past month has been crazy and all over the place.

I moved out of the famous Barlow, leaving DC and went home to Boston. Yes, the trainride was amazing. Althought the food cart was not as impressive as I wanted it to. I hung out with family in Boston and soaked up the general coolness/atmosphere of Boston. I helped Hillary (a little) pack up for college. I finished a couple of things I have been meaning to finish for a while- including scrapbooking my freshman year(!!).

I came to Utah pretty early to spend time with my new niece Sadie Rose Nielson. She is adorable and I have to say, I am a fan of being an aunt. She's pretty quiet right now (she sleeps most of the time), but when she is awake, she is amazing. Even when she was asleep, I loved being around her. Carly and Daniel are so cute with her too.

I also spent time with extended family both in Utah and Idaho. It was nice to visit with everybody and nice getting fresh vegetables from Malad.

After spending a week with family, I moved into my new apartment and unpacked my things. My Mom and Dad were a huge help to me. I don't know how I would have done it without them. I still have some things that I don't know where they are going to go, but I hope I will figure it out soon.... some of it is still in the middle of my room.

And now I am in school. I have already started working as a TA again and taking the hardest class in my major: Political Science 328, Political Quantative Methodology (yes it is as hard as it sounds). I am absolutely terrified. Everyone who I have talked to who has taken the class says to plan on 15-20 hours per week on this class. I talked to the TA and he was very upfront about how this will be the hardest class I will ever take, but he argues that it also is the most rewarding.

Something that struck me as funny was how he talked about how muchStatisticians make; they can make a lot of money straight out of college apparently. I am still not sure why he did this. Just because I am in this class does not mean that I want to be a statistician. Just because statisticians make a lot of money does not make the material more interesting. Just because I could make a lot of money does mean I will be comforted when I am pulling out my hair trying to figure out how to run a regression in STATA. What if making a lot of money isn't a main goal of mine? It felt like he took all of that for granted.

That being said, he seemed like a good guy and a great TA. I just thought him talking about all of that was funny.

DC seems like a far distant thing now. I miss DC. But it also is nice to be in Provo again and hanging out with old friends. It's also nice to be in school... kind of. I'm mostly really scared to be in that class. I will probably start celebrating Christmas even early to help get myself through this class.

Basically, I am now turning.

(Reference to the song "To every season turn, turn, turn"... Whenever this song came on the radio, my Dad would ask me what scripture this came from. Anyone know it?)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you fit most thing in. I'd love to see a picture of your room now...even with stuff in the middle of it. Good to hear about your classes, even if the main purpose of the stats class is to make money when you graduate. Don't look too much to Christmas to get by, just to the end of each week! One week at a time!

    ReplyDelete