Sunday, October 18, 2009

Good Better Best: Passing School, Having Friends, Enjoying Life

For the past few weeks, I have been incredibly busy. I feel like I haven't had time to breath. All of my free time has been structured and planned; none of this "hanging out" business.

It's been hard. I have stayed on campus doing homework from at least 9 am to midnight every night. I come home and just fall into bed. I wake up and start to study immediately.

All in an effort to pass two classes: Political Science 328 and 310. And all of this effort and pain is causing me to think: is there an application of Elder Oak's talk of Good Better Best here?

I am killing myself to try to do well. Doing well in school is good, but is there a better? Or a best? Is enjoying my last year at BYU perhaps more important? Is spending time with my friends before we all part perhaps a better use of time? Is eating food crucial to survival?

As I type this, I realize that I wouldn't really enjoy my last year if I didn't do well in school or if I just gave up. But I do find myself wondering if there is a better balance out there between all of these things that I just have not found it yet.

If you know what it is, please tell me. And please get me something similar to an oxygen tank for the breathing problem.

1 comment:

  1. Good question. When I was dating Steven I put him before school and I got the worst grades of my life. And I don't regret it in the slightest. I think it all depends on which stresses you out more--I look back on it and I am amazed that it didn't really bother me to do so poorly in some classes. But I was so happy with Steven. If not focusing on school is going to stress you out a ton...focus on it. Also I think you should take it each day at a time. You shouldn't just decide school always trumps friends. In some situations other things are definitely more important than school. I have more to say, but no more time. I love you.

    ReplyDelete