Thursday, December 3, 2009

Why I want Christmas to Commit to Me and No One Else

I love Christmas. That much is clear (especially from my last post). 

However,  I have discovered a new element of my love: desire for exclusivity.

Recently, the month changed from November to December; Thanksgiving happened; Black Friday occurred. All of these events result in most of the world celebrating the Christmas season. 

This should make me happy. I am now in the norm. No one can make fun of me for listening to Christmas music, for putting up Christmas lights, or wishing others Merry Christmas.  

However, I have discovered quite the opposite. Instead, I find myself rolling my eyes when I see BYU campus all aglow with twinkle-lights. I chuckle when others say they are excited to listen to Christmas music. I mumble "poser" when I see a guy walking around with a Santa hat. 

Specifically, I caught myself getting annoyed at a group of people talking about Christmas the other day and I was horrified. I, the number one fan of Christmas, was frustrated with people spreading the Christmas cheer? Weird.

And then it hit me: I like that I celebrate it before everyone else. I like that no one knows anyone who loves Christmas as much as me. I like being exclusive with Christmas: just it and me. 

It may seem stupid (it is) or irrational (it is). But nevertheless, it is the truth.

I think it compares to how some people like a band until the band becomes "too big". Or how others refuse to read Harry Potter because everyone likes that book. Except it's weirder than that... because it's Christmas.

I also realize this is not true in terms of sharing Christmas with the people I love. I want them in on it too. But strangers, how dare they rain on my parade!

Hopefully, as the Christmas season goes on, I will warm up to the idea of sharing it with others. But I don't know. Our relationship is pretty special.  

  

1 comment:

  1. Well, I don't know how other people feel, but I've enjoyed listening to Christmas music with you.

    ReplyDelete