Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Don't you hate it when you become the person you used to hate?

Recently, I've realized that I am the person I used to judge and dislike. Seriously.

1. Engaged people. When I was a sophomore in college, a girl in my ward was engaged. Her roommates complained that he was always there and sometimes he even slept over. She got up on the last fast Sunday of the year to bear her testimony of being engaged. She realized that it was going to be her last chance to bare (bear?) her testimony as a single person.

I judged this girl. And now... I understand. I don't think I would go so far to stand up and bare my testimony of getting married. But I understand the desire. It is a big shift. It's actually huge and my testimony has grown a lot because of it. And as to Bryce always being around... well, I would say more that I am never around at my place and always at his. I hope his roommates don't hate me.
  .
2. Teaching Assistants who are heartless. When I was in Political Science 200, I hated my TA. I worked so hard and it just seemed like he did not recognize my progression. I went in to talk to the Professor and I cried. Something about talking to Professors or TAs about my grades and frustrations ends in tears for me. I think it is because I am so scared to do it. But somehow, it doesn't stop me from going in and talking to them about what I did wrong. For another political science class, I thought I wrote an amazing paper and I got a B-. I went in and talked to the TA and... cried. I was so embarrassed. I ran from her from then on.

So, now I am a TA. First of all, I'm pretty sure I have the reputation of being the toughest grader, which is incredibly ironic. But the most recent eerie thing is that I have a student who works so hard- comes to all of my labs and submits her paper to me early every time to review it- but her papers are never very good. Every time I have to give her a ton of things to change and every  time she cries. I feel so horrible- that used to be me!! I can't believe the feeling of deja vu I got today as she cried again and
clearly wanted me to leave because she felt so embarrassed. I just wanted to tell her "I hate me too! You get an A." 

3. People who know the Professors and benefit from that. I was in this class where the Professor was always constantly referencing the work he was doing with one student in the class. It drove me crazy. It seemed like a exclusive club, that kept being shoved in everyone else's face. Not only that, but the guy in the class totally seemed to be coasting! He would show up late to class and I swear I remember hearing him discussing not handing in a paper on time.

Well, you guessed it, that's me. I am that girl. I work for a couple of the professors in the political science department. It works to my benefit all the time. Not in big ways, but in those small irritating ways. I hand things in a couple hours late, I don't make it to class on time, and Professors reference things to me alone. I would normally not cash in on these things, but this semester with my engagement slacker-ness, I have needed any little help I can get. I feel bad about it... kind of.

4. PDA couples. Man, I hated those people. People who couldn't go 5 minutes without a quick peck or touching each other, or constantly cuddling. I remember telling my friends that there should be a couple section in the library so no one else had be grossed out by them. More specifically, I remember making fun of Meredith and Steven (to their face) about how they always held hands.
              Seriously I hope we are not this bad. Also, this picture makes me laugh.

And now... that's me. It hit me today as I was holding Bryce's hand and typing on the computer with one hand. Sick. Really? We're that couple now. Yes. We are. Hopefully, we are not the couple that is making out in public (still can't being myself to do that), but we hold hands, touch each other, and peck each other. I am ashamed, but at the same time, I am so in love

So... I am pretty much my own worst enemy. At least, my old worst enemy.

Before you judge me, just realize that it will probably happen to you too.

2 comments:

  1. I also hate people who are really affectionate in public. There's this one couple I always see that is constantly making googly eyes at each other and whispering "I love you." It's disgusting. Why don't they just get married and drop out? It would save everyone a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun, and so mature of you to recognize that 1) You ARE that person (some people only see this in others ) 2)other people might be irritated by it. A very fun post.

    ReplyDelete