Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Watch out blogging world- here I come!

After much resistance, I have finally consented to starting a blog. I have been very resistant to this for a while now.

Top 7 reasons I resisted starting a blog:

7. Only married people have blogs. I feel like blogging is a right of passage for married life. If single people blog, I have heard a few married people scoff at their style or the stupidity of it. I don't want to seem stupid to married people. I fear their criticism...

6. I have a bias against internet communication. When I was in high school, I had some friends who would chat with each other online all night long. But in person, they were so awkward with each other. They could not figure out how to interact with each other in the real world, only through a computer. Since that experience, I have a bias against communication through internet. I am so worried about people and myself becoming so dependent on technology that we forget how to relate to each other as humans.

5. I do not have a particularly funny writing tone. The best blogs to read are those people who have a particular voice or point of view. I feel like I have either. But more important, a blogger must be funny. Sarcastic, witty, and creative. I am not confident in my ability to do this in written format. In person, I believe I stand a better chance at getting someone to crack a smile or maybe even a chuckle or two. But written word? All bets are off.

4. I am a horrible speller. I mean, it's embarrassing. And, I am very aware that people judge others for their incorrect grammar or misspelled words. I know myself and therefore, I know there are going to be a lot of humiliating mistakes. Hopefully, people will know that I am not dumb, but spelling and bad grammar are a weakness for me.

3. It seems like the "cool" thing to do. I am someone who does not necessarily like to follow the crowd. And right now, it seems like the crowd is definitely blogging. Everyone and their mom (literally for some people) are writing everything about themselves in blogs. Maybe it's the rebel in me or marching to the beat of a different drummer part or maybe the immature teenager seeping out, but part of me did not want to blog because it seemed like everyone else was doing it.

2. Everything I say is on the record. It's permanent. It's quotable. I can't take it back. Well, I can, but it's a little weird. If you are having an argument with someone in person, often times neither person completely makes sense. Or you contradict yourself. Or you end up shifting from one topic to another one completely. But no one really calls you on it because they were there; they did the same thing. But in written word, you can't really do that. You know what I mean.

1. My life is not particularly interesting. I do not have a lot going on. Seriously. I am as boring as they come. Things have picked up a little since I am now in DC, but not a lot is happening. At least, not a lot that I think other people will want to hear about. By not having a blog, people can have this false image of me having a wonderful crazy busy life (which isn't true). By starting a blog, I am openly admitting that I am indeed a loser.

All of that being said, I am starting a blog.

But, to anyone is reading this, be forewarned: I'm just as scared as you are.

4 comments:

  1. I loved it! Just blog when you do something interesting. Your tone was perfect. I can hardly wait for future "blogs"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more than excited. I'm also living in Provo, and I'm also an avid reader of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Bryce, by the way. I'll probably be posting a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited! I want to see pictures of DC pronto. I love the picture at the top. And there is spell check on blogspot - it is a life saver.

    ReplyDelete