Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I'm safe!

As some of you may know, there was a recent accident on the DC Metro. I am fine and completely safe. Here are some scary photos though.


It makes me never want to stand on a Metro again. 9 people have died so far- 9!


All of this being said, I am completely safe and everyone in my program is also safe. I didn't even know about the crash until I got home and I had several emails from the Washington Post telling me about it.

But this kind of freak accident makes me want to do something strange. My sister, Meredith, went on a cruise when she was in High School with the chorus (correct me if I get this story wrong Meredith). She somehow became afraid that she was going to die on the cruise. So, she decided to write letters to all of the members of her family telling them how much she loves them, maybe giving some advice, and saying good bye. It ended up being a moving experience for her and I believe a few tears were shed.

We all kind of laughed when Meredith told us about it years later. But this Metro accident made me want to do the same thing. But the problem is, I have too many people to write letters to! My family is only one section of the people who need letters. The task is overwhelming and it would take me a long time to write everyone who I would want to say farewell to.

Therefore, I am going to say a few general things right now in case I never get the chance to later. Thanks for everything; you changed my life and me for the better. I love you all and I am so glad I had the privilege of knowing, learning from, crying, and laughing with you. Please stay involved in the Gospel. Thanks for the seemingly insignificant moments only you and I will remember or cherish. It meant the world then and it still does. Good bye and I will see you again.

Sorry that was so cliche... I believe I warned you though.


4 comments:

  1. Are those your pictures? Did you take them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, those aren't my pictures. I took them from new york times article online.

    that would be scary if they were mine though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. just so you know, i too am safe. i know, belmont has been all over the news, what with my friends not being drunk that one night, our internet starting to work, and the fact that we haven't built another bank in belmont center for a few weeks (we've now topped out at 10), things are pretty dangerous here. but i dont want you to worry about me...i'll be fine.
    -hillary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for making me look like a dork to all your friends. Let me clarify, I wrote an individual letter to my family members...in my private journal. So they would only read it if I died. I shared it with you in confidence, gosh Al.
    Good to you know you are alive. I am also alive.
    Lary, it cracked me up when I thought at first your comment was Dad's.

    ReplyDelete